Time for some Internet honesty.
This comes after some good long thought about my life in
Korea and many conversations with friends that have become a bit too
cynical. I’ve been trying to
embrace a mantra of only putting good energy into the world, but I have been
finding that Korea is making that rather difficult. I’ll explain.
I came to Korea with all the naïveté and enthusiasm I could
muster. Another adventure! A new country! A new continent! So many places to explore! Quite frankly, I like this energy. I like the endless possibilities it
provides. Arriving without
specific expectations allows me to really experience whatever is thrown my way. Don’t get me wrong, I do my homework
before arriving and know more or less what I am coming into, but then I throw
that out the window and try to approach it all with a clean slate.
That being said, I wouldn’t have come to Korea if I didn’t
think it was going to be awesome.
Everyone I knew who had lived in Korea said it was marvelous, the best
thing they had ever done, they would do it again in a heartbeat. That all sounded pretty good to
me! Combined with standardized
working hours, decent pay, and the ability to travel Asia during vacations, it
seemed like a really good deal.
And it is, on paper.
But my reality has not lived up to the non-expectations that
I had.
Korea itself is an interesting and sometimes beautiful
place. There are magnificent
mountains and stunning stretches of rice paddies. But, with hundreds and thousands and millions of people
living on top of each other, the cities become clogged, smoggy, dirty,
littered. At all hours, people
scream from windows, cats dig through garbage bins, and pedestrians are nearly
taken out by the numerous automobiles that careen through red lights. Men spit on the ground continuously and
everyone talks with their mouths full and slurps their soup. The sewers ooze stench that somehow
overpowers that of the garbage bags that rot for days on the side of the
road. In the city, there is not a
love of space and place like there is in the country. Stillness is foreign and quiet elusive.
In South Africa, I found solace in my relative anonymity,
that is, until I opened my mouth.
When I spoke, I was often bombarded with questions: Where are you from?
No, I know you are from America, where?
Here, my mere image is enough to send people into various fits. These range across the full spectrum:
from angry stares to delighted giggles, from running up to touch me to
hysterical tears of horror. At
first, I was amused. Now, I am
irritated. We are not so
different, you and I. Please stop
treating me as such. I live
here. Get over it.
This waygook effect goes both ways, though. Because we are foreign, we sometimes
get special treatment. People will
help us. Our ignorance grants us
certain freedoms that Koreans cannot have. For example, I don’t have to wear socks with my school
shoes, whereas the Koreans do.
Despite these moments of seeming grace, the majority of my day is spent
with a false grin attempting to hide the fact that I am aware of the
discrimination against me.
Korean culture is not very direct, so these moments of, dare
I say, discrimination are disguised and very passive aggressive. For example, websites will often list
different airfares in English and in Korean. If you are Korean (or at least read Korean), you receive a
hefty discount. I have been
physically removed from shops; taken by the shoulders and thrown out, having
done nothing but browsed the racks while chatting with a friend. A recent news program aired on national
television addressed the “foreigner problem” in Korea; how we come in, steal
their women, rape them, bring HIV/AIDS into the country, and otherwise bring
ruin to a sterling civilization. I
know that not all Koreans feel this way, but some do, and their stares seem to say,
“Get out. Get out now.”
This inequality is also built into the fabric of the school
system and EPIK program. Native
English teachers are tested for drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, whereas
Korean teachers are not. Native
English teachers are evaluated by students, parents, and co-workers, whereas,
to my knowledge, Korean teachers are not.
To add insult to injury, I am not allowed to evaluate students’ progress
in the classroom: I have no say in tests or any assessments. I also am not able to evaluate my
co-teachers or school in any way.
I cannot work to make my school a better place, but they can judge me
and then not let me see their evaluation forms so that I can make myself
better.
I feel judged on a daily basis by my co-teachers. I am consistently treated as a second
rate teacher, in fact, I am more specifically not treated as a teacher at
all. They rarely let me plan
anything for lessons and delegate the “listen and speak” sections of the
textbook for me to teach in class.
This effectively reduces me to an English-speaking parrot that leads
call and response exercises with students. When I am able to lead a game or an activity, my co-teachers
lurk on the outskirts of the classroom, staring at me, and rarely helping with
classroom management. This is
particularly devastating because I don’t speak Korean. As a result, I am not able to manage
the classroom effectively on my own.
My usual tricks (which work brilliantly, by the way) are useless,
because my students cannot understand the simplest command. But, even if I wanted to train the
students to my teaching and classroom style, I could not. The classes I teach are not mine; they
are distinctly my co-teachers’ and I am a mere tool to be used when deemed
appropriate. To my co-teachers, I
am a way to lighten the load of monotonous teaching a bit. To my students, I am the foreign
plaything. Neither of these are
roles that I enjoy.
Because of the hierarchy present in Korean schools, I have
to gently humble myself and beg for the things that I want and need. First I must address my main co-teacher
(who introduced herself to me on the first day as, “I’m (name). I’m very hot-headed.”). After negotiating with her, she may or
may not concede to talk to the Vice-Principal on my behalf (herself
begging). It is a long and
strenuous process that makes me feel continually guilty for asking for what I
desire: You want me to teach 2
hours per week outside of my contracted hours, but you cannot pay me? Then you must give me another form of
compensation: extra vacation. Oh,
gosh, um, maybe I can talk to the Principal for you. Are you sure you want to do this? (Moment of self-doubt.
Do I allow myself to be taken advantage of? ) Yes. Yes I am
sure. I need compensation for my
work. Well, I talked to the
Principal and he said that maybe he can give you one extra day, but you cannot
tell anyone, ok? And be careful
about asking for things, it is not good to do that…
I suppose I am lucky in that my vacation requests have, for
the most part, and after a rather nasty summer vacation situation, come out
favorably. But the mental and
emotional turmoil of asking for the specifics of something guaranteed in my
contract is really unnecessary.
In sum, I feel, well, parrot-like. I do not enjoy this work. I am an object.
I am a plaything. I am that
foreigner that has been thrust upon the school by the Korean government. My presence is not a choice for the
school or my co-teachers; I am an unwanted necessity. No one on the school level is trained in how to work with
foreigners, no one has any cultural sensitivity training, no one knows about
methods of co-teaching or how to best use me as a resource. I, on the other hand, had to take a 100+
hour TEFL course, an online EPIK (English Program in Korea) course, attend a 9
day long training intensive before beginning work at the school, attend a
second week-long training by the Daejeon Department of Education, and complete
a second online training course.
But, because I am at the bottom of the totem pole, my suggestions and
ideas are not heeded. I am the
foreigner, a know-it-all, and something we all have to deal with.
All this being said, if I liked teaching English as a Second
Language I could at least find happiness in my interactions with the
students. But I don’t. I’ve learned rather quickly that I am
not cut out to be an ESL teacher for little ones. I cannot speak to them, or rather, I can, but they cannot
understand a word that I say. They
cannot speak to me. I am unable to
form relationships. I cannot make
connections. Perhaps they are
slowly growing and, to be fair, there are some students who I enjoy. But, these relationships and
conversations pale in comparison to those that I had made after one week at
Durban Girls High School. I know
it is not a good idea to compare jobs, but I am finding it difficult not to
when I had such a perfect job before!
And so, I struggle.
I have never been this unhappy in a job. Sure, working at bars and hotels wasn’t
the greatest, but I least I had human interaction. Real human interaction. Here, no one speaks to me. I sit in silence in the office all day. Students speak at me, but cannot speak
with me. They can do the “hello”
bit, but when I ask, “how are you” they freeze, unable to speak and usually run
away.
It is a lonely business, this living in Korea. I try not to take out my unhappiness on
others, but sometimes that is hard not to do. They always say you hurt the ones you love most, right? I have a hard time being the best
version of myself when I am unhappy.
This is why I am trying to only put positive energy into the world. I am learning to grin and bear it and
then to let it go.
Most days, I feel as though my days in Korea are
numbered. I am counting down the
days until my summer vacation (1 month from today) and may soon start a
countdown to the end of my contract (but the number of days is too depressingly
large now). However, I think that
if I were able to secure a really good university job, I could happily stay in
Korea. In addition to having older
students with real language ability, university jobs give an obscene amount of
vacation time (4-6 weeks in summer, and 4-6 weeks in winter, or more). Korea’s location provides the ability
to travel throughout Asia, which I am so excited for doing. Universities also pay more than public
schools; and I’ve already saved $4000 in four months, so I am excited about the
nest egg that I am building for myself here.
Or maybe I’ll duck out. I’ll leave this place and find somewhere else. Southeast Asia does call me. I have started looking for
International Schools in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia,
Vietnam. Maybe I could teach drama
again? I would really love that.
My job does “get me down” as they say. I look forward to weekends and evenings
with a distinct fervor. I have
little adventures on weeknights, yoga, aerobics, running, reading (I am
absorbed by books at the moment and loving every page), dinners, sometimes
drinks, a hike here and there.
Weekends are spent unwinding, travelling sometimes to visit friends,
running long distances (I am due for a 9-10 miler on Saturday), and otherwise
trying to enjoy this time.
It is a blessing to be here and a joy to be able to travel
and see the world. I just didn’t
expect it to be this tricky.
I am making the best of this. It is good. I
will put positive energy into the world and it will come back to me. Even here. Even in Korea.
There will be positivity and light in this place. I just may not be here for much longer,
and that is okay too.

beautiful, real post. thank you for sharing - i send nothing but good, positive vibes your way... if nothing else, it's great fuel for rockin' runs :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how effective this is as a piece of writing, and how much I wish you were in a place that appreciated your talents!
ReplyDeleteI've never struggled at my work in a foreign land, but I've certainly struggled at my work before--especially when I can't seem to make a single meaningful connection with other humans. So I won't say I know how you're feeling, but I kinda sorta do.
Keep in touch with friendly peoples online--I don't know if your internet access is restricted, but I'm sure we can find you other teachers in similar circumstances with whom you can at least swap war stories!
Hang in there, Robin! You da bomb dot com!
Ditto. I'm also struggling to be the best version of myself here. Unlike a few friends of mine, I have avoided immersing myself into extravagant shopping to numb the way I feel about things here.
ReplyDeleteYes, I am grateful for a job and a salary. No, I'm not happy that I have to wear a cap and sunglasses whenever I go out so I don't notice the obvious stares. Korea is a toughie...and being an ESL teacher is slowly sucking my soul. I am also immersing myself into books and frequent skype calls with my friends at home in order to keep my brain from turning into Korean rice.
You're definitely not alone Robin. Most South Africans love Korea because they have a better life here. I'm starting to resent this country and it's obsession with beauty and image, as well as parrot-vibe education system.
Southeast Asia definitely calls :)