I think all English teachers in Korea were looking forward
to the long weekend from May 26-28.
That extra day was golden, full of possibility, and relieved of any
responsibility. (I think shortened
school weeks are as wonderful for teachers as they are for students.)
Despite detailed and dedicated planning, however, all of our
grand ideas for the weekend fell through; ferries to various islands were
booked, and booking love motels in advance is near impossible, meaning that
faith that we would find accommodation was slim. So, instead of heading away to one location for three days,
we instead decided to visit a different Daejeon-centric location each day.
(Stuart already had plans this weekend to go to some 3-day
foreigner beach party, which I had absolutely no interest in attending. So, I was generating plans with other
Daejeon friends.)
On Saturday, we ventured to the south of Daejeon to O World
/ Zoo Land: an amusement park / zoo / flower garden. There, we rode various rides and walked through the zoo
portion. It was rather sweet to be
there when my South African friends saw their first bear, moose, and
raccoon. We waited in line for
ages to go on an “African Safari” that featured Asian elephants, tigers, and
brown bears…. It ended up being
utterly depressing, as the animals were restricted in small enclosures covered
in concrete.
On Sunday, we work early to take the train to Daecheon, the
closest beach to Daejeon, although it was still two hours away. We spent the day lounging on the soft
sand, reading, chatting, and napping.
We did splash in the sea a bit, but it was too cold (and dirty) to really
swim. The beach itself was nice
enough, although nothing compared to South Africa’s beaches or those I
anticipate seeing in Thailand this August.
The most horrific and upsetting of things, though, to happen
on the beach was how much of a spectacle we were. Koreans were stopping behind us and slyly taking pictures of
us with their phones. We would be
relaxing quietly, and then hear the unmistakable click of a camera and the
muffled giggle that followed. It
was all I could do not to jump up and demand that the photos be deleted.
I really really hate being an object and a spectacle in
Korea, just because of the color of my skin, eyes, and hair.
On Monday, our day off, I was feeling under the weather and
so stayed at home, reading and relaxing, while the others ventured to a soccer
game. I really needed the sleep!




No comments:
Post a Comment