Stuart and I live in a small community called
Songgang-dong. Although we are
technically a part of Daejeon, and work under their department of education, I
would argue that we are actually a suburb and an entity in ourselves. By bus, it takes over 30 minutes to get
into what I call Daejeon, which I consider to be south of the river.
![]() |
| Songgan-dong is the "A". Daejeon proper is the concentrated area in the center of the image. |
Songgang-dong is small but sufficient. It exists in its own right and contains
nearly everything that a waygook (foreigner) like me might need. The community’s area is about a square
mile or two. Within this, there
are a huge number of tall apartment buildings housing thousands upon thousands
of people. There is a “downtown”
area, near where I live, that contains a plethora of Korean restaurants, some
bars, many PC-bangs (computer gaming rooms), and the essentials (banks, post
office, grocery stores, etc).
Everything is very, shall we say, settled and locally owned. In terms of entertainment in the Dong,
there is nothing unless you like the out of doors, in which case there is a
lot.
| The river in winter. |
We are right next to one of Daejeon’s three rivers. This means there are ample
opportunities for biking and running along the river. Heading East and South, you can run / bike around Techno
Valley (a much more modern area near to Songgang that houses all the modern
amenities, foreign restaurants, and major shopping centers), and if you are
really energetic, it is possible to head down into Daejeon proper. If you run North, you can follow the
river as it turns and eventually, after running around Sintanjin (another large
suburb that is kind of industrial and smoggy), end up at Dacheon Dam and the
large lake there.
| View of Songgang-dong, Techno Valley, and Sintanjin from the mountain. |
To the West of Songgang-dong is a mountain range that
provides some nice hiking and views.
I am not sure how far the range extends, but I have seen signs for
trails that are at least 5kms long.
I’ve only been into the mountains a few times, having spent most of my
time on the river, but hope that more opportunities to climb will present
themselves.
| My room |
My apartment is small.
I suppose this was to be expected in Korea, where millions of people
live on top of each other in buildings that reach towards the sky. All this being said, I have arguably
one of the largest apartments around.
If I had to venture a guess, I’d say my room (because I get corrected
when I say I have an apartment, because it is actually just one room) is about
12 feet by 20 feet, including the bathroom and the kitchen area. I haven’t measured anything, to be
honest, so I am not sure on the exact dimensions. But, I do have a double bed, a couch, a dining room table
with two chairs, and a long coffee table.
In comparison to my friends, I am the luckiest. They have single beds, no tables, and
no couches; there just is not enough space.
| View into the kitchen |
Now, as many of you know, I like a good kitchen. For me, it is a social space as well as
a practical space. Again, I
shouldn’t complain too much, seeing as I am far luckier than Stuart who can
barely turn around in his little kitchen / entryway, but my kitchen is far from
ideal. I have a stovetop comprised
of two burners (lucky, most people have one), an itty-bitty counter space (both
people have none), and a sink. I
was able to arrange my tables such that I have made a kitchen island of sorts,
such that I am surrounded by table / counter space. This makes dinner preparations far easier. Also, I just bought an oven, which
thrills me no end and allows me to roast vegetables, bake breads, and a
plethora of other things that are waiting to be tried and tasted.
All this being said, I do like my apartment and am finding
ways to make it into my little home, or as Stuart calls it: my nest. I have hung paper cranes from the
ceiling and have bought bamboo and paper lanterns that will be hung with lights
to create alternate lighting options (harsh florescent lights aren’t the best
for reading in bed).
| Songgang Elementary Sports Day |
Now, my school: Songgang Elementary School. It is a school of over 1200 students
from Kindergarten to Grade 6. I
teach grades 3, 4, 5, and 6, totaling 21 classes per week. I also teach one afterschool class,
which is the love of my life, called ETC (English Talent Class). Basically, I get to hang out with 12 of
the brightest and most lovely 5th and 6th grade students
in the school. We play games and
do activities that I design and basically just have a really great time. They often stay 20 minutes after class
just to keep talking or playing.
I teach my other 21 classes with my 3 co-teachers. I have one co-teacher for 3rd
and 4th grade, one for 5th grade, and one for 6th
grade. Together, we plan lessons
for our students and then implement the lesson together in class. They see the students more often than I
do, having 2-3 classes with them per week, while I am only around for one. Again, not to complain but, I find that
my weekly appearance is not enough to really establish relationships or bonds
of trust with the students. They
see me as that foreigner, who is interesting, that comes in once a week and makes
them repeat words. I am used in
classes mostly as the mouthpiece for how things are meant to sound in
English. I have to do a lot of
“listen and repeat” activities from the textbook and teach a lot of
vocabulary. This is all well and
good, and does need to be done, but I find that all the things I love about
being a teacher are slipping away.
Aside from my ETC class once a week, there is no creativity, spontaneity,
or relationships in my classes. (I
don’t even have a classroom to call my own, as I bounce around the school
teaching) I actually wouldn’t even
say “my” classes, since I have little agency in planning them and even less
choice in what the students will learn.
We are very textbook-driven here.
Actually, my job would be ideal for so many foreign
teachers. But for me, coming here
as an experienced teacher, I yearn for work, for agency, for creativity, and
for ownership. I feel like an
object. For example, when students
earn a certain number of stamps in their textbook they get to take a picture
with me. I was never asked if this
would be okay, but rather told that this would be the case after the Polaroid
camera was purchased by the school for this purpose. (Two students just came in for pictures, so it is fresh on
my mind.) I think it is a lovely
prize for the students (and the one girl just leapt with joy through the
hallway after taking the picture) but I would have appreciated being asked
first, you know?
Needless to say I miss Durban Girls High School, I miss
Kerryn Kimber (the other drama teacher), and I miss my lovely girls (and the
fact that they spoke English!).
I know that this blog has been slightly depressing: living
far away, small apartment, and difficult time at school. I am not utterly miserable here. My delightful friends and the amazing
things to do and see in Korea make up for that. I am a person who invests a lot of myself into my work, and
being unable to do that, I get antsy, I get sad, and I start to feel a bit
unnecessary. And that’s not fun.
My work is a chore at the moment, although I am negotiating
the delicate and hierarchical waters to try to weasel my way into more agency
and creativity in the classroom.
8:30am- 4:30pm are the hours I survive in order to enjoy the rest of
what Korea has to offer. And I
really do love all of that. Those
blogs will be forthcoming, as I hope to detail some of the more exciting
adventures that Stuart and I have had in Korea so far.
You may be wondering, “But Robin, you said you wanted to be
in Korea for a few years, does how you are feeling now change all that?” My answer, it complicates things, yes,
but does not change them. It just
means that I am looking for alternatives for next year. Namely, I hope to find my way into the
University system. Opportunities
exist for teaching English to University students and I think that my
experience and interests would be far better suited in this environment.


No comments:
Post a Comment