Thursday, September 10, 2009

onward wounded soldier

I am taking a moment, to breathe, and to remember that:
First I honor life, and with it, my life in the theatre.

The play comes apace. FrontLines. Rehearsals are long. We officially rehearse from 5:30pm- 9:30pm. However, extra rehearsals are called every day starting from 2pm. And before 2pm and in between classes, we do other tasks, have costume fittings, gather props, etc. It is a full time job, as all theatre is.

Today is Thursday.
We open on Tuesday.
Tomorrow we will finish blocking the play.
Maybe we will do a run, but probably only a partial run.
New text and songs are still coming.

I am not nervous. I am overwhelmed, a bit. And my face is breaking out. I have what seems like mountains of text to learn, although its really not terrible. Today, I was given a song in Hebrew to learn... I do not know how to pronounce Hebrew properly. I sleep like a rock, and although I am getting 7 hours, I need many more. I drank, for the first time, an entire RedBull today.

Although there is much to learn and do, and it causes all 46 of us a vast amount of stress (yes, there are 46 cast members), there are some incredible moments in this play.

My mom's father, and my dad and his mom are all lifted up in this play. I speak the words of my recently deceased grandmother. My grandfather is honored as a man who served his country. It is the most beautiful of memorials. Adil's voice is lifted through his story of September 11th. This is what I must continue to hold onto. That this play will be beautiful and that the people I love are a part of it.

In other news, I am playing in the South African Ultimate Frisbee Championships in early October. On a team called Prawn Bunny. It will be magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment